Thursday, May 27, 2010

THE OLD YEAR (Part 6)

“You’re coming.”

Cable guy and friend push their way in.

“This is Justin. My friend I was telling you about.”

“What’s up. You’re coming out with us.”

Justin is loud like bright colors and a few inches shorter than me. He is skinny with a wire frame. He has on jeans and an over-sized t-shirt. He has a cap pulled low and blonde chin hair like a sad neglected lawn. His eyes flash when he speaks. He has a twisted grin.

“Hey, what’s up man. Like I told Derrick, I can’t go. I’m too fucked up.”

“I don’t want to hear it. I’ll fucking drag you out if I have to.”

My heart stops a split second. I try to comprehend his statement. Did he just threaten me?

“Seriously dude. I’m a mess. I smoked some shit from these dudes at Wolf’s. Now I’m freaking out.”

“It was probably laced with something. So what. Get ready. We’re going.”

“Naw, man. No way.”

“This is a nice place you got here. I like your guitars. You jam.”

“Yeah. A little.”

“Play us something. What kinda music you into?”

“Everything. I can’t. Dude, I’m fucked.”

“You said that.” He walks over to my microphone stand and pulls the mic off. He starts swinging it like a small lasso.

I look at him. His eyes are menacing and his body language threatening. I look over, across the room, to the kitchen, and where the knife resides out of sight.

“Get up. We’re going.”

“What don’t you understand.” I turned to Derrick. “What’s with this guy?”

“I’m just bustin’ yer balls.” Justin chuckles. “Man, I really like your guitars. I’m gonna have to come over one day and play ‘em.”

I sense I will need to forcible move this man out of my home. He walks around eyeing all of my things, mic in hand. My heart is beating fast, it’s still hard to focus. I’m unsure if I’m interpreting everything that is going on around me correctly.

“You told Derrick you were coming out. So come on, get up.”

“Look…”

“Speak into the mic!” Justin puts the microphone in my face.

“What the fuck, man”

“I’m just messing with you.”

“Look, you guys gotta leave. I need some quiet. Maybe I’ll meet up with you?”

“You won’t. Besides, you’re coming now.”

I turn to Derrick again to see if this is real, if things are really going this way.

“Come on, Justin.”

“No, if anything, I’ll drag his ass outside and I’ll live here.”

“So this is how it’s going to be…”

“Speak into the mic!”

“Get that fucking thing out of my face!”

“I’m just fucking around man.”

“Listen. I told you. I’m fucked up. I’m not going out. You guys have to leave.”

“Why are you getting so upset?”

“I want you to leave!”

“Okay, okay.” He moves towards the door, stops and looks at me. Then he gives big grin and says, “I’ll see you later, man.”

I close and lock the door as the thuds from their feet on the stairs fades. I go and pick up the knife and check the lock again. I am convinced they will be back to loot my place. Things will get violent. I pace the room for awhile and then sit and listen for noises. I wake on the couch New Year’s Day, knife in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment